Thursday, October 16, 2014

Everyday Object Oil Painting

Original Photo

Final Piece



This was my first time using oil paints on a large scale. This isn’t my favorite piece that I have ever created; however, I was really grateful for the experience that I had working with this medium. I learned a lot about the texture that can be achieved with oils as well as how the colors blend together. The final piece did not turn out exactly how I had envisioned, but I think that the oils gave it a unique quality that other mediums could not achieve.

The assignment was to paint an everyday object using oil paints. I was not very inspired looking around my house, art room, etc. Every object looked to plain and boring, and we all know that is the opposite of what I like to create. I walked into my bedroom, continuing my search, and noticed some of the objects on my bookshelf. I keep a lot of objects on there that were gifts or from travels, all of which have meaning to me. I decided to arrange them in an interesting composition and to give new life to them on canvas. I love the angle of the composition and the really bright colors. I am happy with the image that I was able to create.

I think that my piece is really inspiring as it highlights the idea that everyday objects can hold a lot of value, despite their sometimes plain, boring exteriors. By choosing objects that hold value to me, I think that I was really able to capture that message in the painting. I think that recreating and giving new life to everyday objects that many people overlook would be a cool area to explore in the future. I am happy that I was able to practice with oils on this project and had the opportunity to play around with them while also portraying an interesting message. On to the next project! 





No comments:

Post a Comment