Monday, September 29, 2014

Oil Painting Practice



In Art 4, I painted using oil paints for the first time. We were introduced to a project using oils as our medium, so I painted some small apples to get practice working with the new medium. And I immediately fell in love. Oils are so much fun to work with. You can achieve so much texture and value working with the paints as a result of the paints' consistency. The top apple was completed simply using a brush. It was such a good opportunity to learn how to mix the colors on the paper rather than on the palette. Also, I learned a lot about the importance of layering and the effect that it has on the piece. The bottom apple was done using a palette knife. It was definitely more challenging as I felt that I did not have as much control. I appreciate the opportunity to practice with a different tool as it deepened my understanding of how colors work and different thicknesses the paint can be applied with. Creating these two apples got me super excited to start my project using oils. I am loving the experience and think I may have found one of my new favorite mediums! Here's a photograph of my final piece in progress. 



No comments:

Post a Comment