Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Second Oil Painting

Final Piece


Second oil painting is done and I have to say, I may have a new favorite medium. From working will regular oil paints with this project and the previous one, I have learned so much about the quality of oil paint. Oils blend extremely well as a result of their texture and the length that it takes to dry. I love being able to blend the colors to receive new values right on the canvas. Just a few weeks ago, I still had the wrong conception that oils were tricky to work with and didn't always get you the final piece that you want. After completing two whole oil paintings, I completely disagree! I have learned so much about oils and cannot to build on those skills in the future.



Original Sketch
Reference Photo




















The theme for this project was titled “Odd Interiors.” While we didn't have to use oils, I chose to in order to expand the skills that I learned during the last project. I began thinking of uncommon interior spaces, but the only things that I could think of were not very odd. I kept picturing rooms and houses and buildings, all of the typical spaces that come to mind upon hearing “interior.” I kept brainstorming by scrolling through the camera roll on my phone in hopes of finding some form of odd interior. While searching my photos, I began to have major summer withdrawals, seeing photos of my friends and I over summer vacation as well as pictures from many trips taken. I decided to take that inspiration and channel it into my new project! I immediately thought of a summer basic, lemonade. For me, lemonade means warm summer evenings outdoors with friends, complete with lightning bugs and fireworks. I jumped on the idea right away by making lemonade at home and taking a bunch of photographs  of the glass with many ice cubes in it from different angles. Taking the photos made me fall even more in love with the idea as I began to envision how I could achieve the icy forms and texture with oils. The painting would also contain a large, central focus on the inside of a straw which would contrast the color of the lemonade and background. How’s that for an odd interior?

In Progress

While painting, I encountered some issues that made me question my decision. My idea didn't seem as exciting and fresh when everyone’s comments seemed to be “It looks like a Pokémon ball!” in reaction to the interior of the straw. All of the comments made me question if my “odd interior” was too odd.

See the similarites? ;)


I remained in confusion and despair for all of five minutes when I decided to channel the critiques into something better. I altered the shape and values of the straw and fell right back in love. I loved painting the ice cubes and the drink itself. I admit that I was a little daunted at first as everyone is when faced with a tricky composition. However, I believe that this project really taught me a lot of things in that area that will help my take on trickier subject matters in the future.

Still Going 

I learned a lot about overcoming challenges and taking on risks with this painting. I really like the final piece probably better than my first oil painting. I believe that the composition is super interesting and the colors work very nicely together. I am excited with how this painting turned out and cannot wait to expand my oil skills in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment