Friday, February 7, 2014

Snapshot post- Appropriation

    For the new semester, for each assignment, it is our new goal to provide "snapshot posts" so that we can track our progress, reflect on how we have grown, and see where we need to go from here. For this project, our theme was Appropriation, which is the use of borrowed elements in a new piece. We were allowed to use any material that we thought would best get across what we wanted to express with this theme. The idea that I came up with and was most inspired by was "ClipArt."
   
    So far, I have crafted the idea of spelling out "art" using clips of famous artwork. Eventually, all three letters will be hung up with clips on twine so that it has a literal and figurative meaning of "clipart." 
I think that this project is really coming along. I love the idea that I have and am super inspired by it so I can't wait to see where it will go from here. Mr. Sands really wants us to understand how artists grow with each piece of work they compose so he asked that we reflect on how we have grown throughout the project. Here are three Artist Behaviors that I believe I have taken a part of during this project to make the final piece more successful. 
  1. Artists Take Risks: For the material that I am using for this assignment, I chose to use canvas paper that Mr. Sands found in the depth of all his random art supplies. This is something that I have never worked with, so this whole project has been a huge experiment. I didn't know how the canvas would react or even if it would work, so it was a huge risk. I truly believe that in order to grow as an artist, it is very important to step out of your comfort zone, whether that mean trying a new technique or using a new material. I am loving the freedom of just experimenting with it and seeing where the material takes me!
  2. Artists Solve Problems: As I just stated, the materials that I chose for this project were totally new for me, so I didn't know exactly how things would work out. Needless to say, things didn't go perfectly as planned, but I took those flaws and ran with them! For example, when I printed out the "clips" of artwork on the canvas paper, the colors were not as vibrant as I had previously expected. I am definitely taking advantage of this setback, however, as I think that the paler colors make a really great background that will place a lot of emphasis on the letters when they are finished. 
  3. Artists Understand the Art Community: I don't normally use technology in my artwork a lot, as I am pretty technologically challenged. I think in this project though, the use of technology has really benefited the piece. Through this project, I have learned a lot about how technology can enhance a piece, as I was able to print the images directly on the canvas paper. 
Stay Tuned for the final piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment