Friday, January 10, 2014

Altered Book


    Final project of art 2! It's kind of bittersweet but I am excited to see what the future holds. For this project, we were introduced to a unique new form of art that a lot of artists have been jumping on, altered book carvings. When I first heard the instructions on this, I didn't know how this was was supposed to relate to art, it sounded more like a construction project to me. As I got into it, however, I discovered that there are many forms of art, not just that on paper! It looks really difficult, but having planned out the basic shapes beforehand made it pretty easy! After planning which shapes would be on each level, you just place the mat underneath that level and carve away, slowly getting closer to the back cover. Once everything was carved, which took a LONG time, I painted the cover and the front page to enhance the pieces. 
     The theme that I chose for my book was "Along for the ride." While coming up with ideas and staring pointlessly at the book for some sort of inspiration, I kept envisioning it as a chest. So I just went with it! I believe that the real treasure to be found in a chest is not money or gold, but rather the memories that we hold from others and from trips that we take. I carved various items such as ticket stubs, old letters, photographs, etc. into the book to portray this idea and I think that it read really well! I am really happy with how this turned out especially because of the message "between the lines" ;). I think I really took a risk by incorporating as many components as I did, but I think all of it helps to portray the idea that we really are just along for the ride! I learned a lot from this project such as how to think outside of the box and really push myself to the best of my ability. I also learned about the importance of good composition and that is definitely something I will take with me.  Even though this is not the medium that I usually work with, it was interesting to see how many ways you can approach a project and put your own mark on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment