Tuesday, January 13, 2015

#11- Final Choice Project

So for my very last project in Art 4 (so sad!), while everyone else was working on concentration pieces, I decided that I wanted to create something that I thought would best show my growth throughout the semester. The first piece that I completed in Art 4 was a piece to go along with the theme of "Reflection." It was supposed to be a Prismacolor drawing of, of course, a reflection. I had never really worked with Prismacolors
before and the thought of trying to represent a reflection with them was very intimidating. It ended up being a great project because it stretched me and made me more confident in trying things that seem impossible at first. As I was reflecting back on this, I decided that I wanted to try a reflection piece again to not only see how my skills in that area have grown, but my technical skills in other areas as well. 

Sitting on my desk, my jar of paintbrushes has served as an inspiration for me for a long time. It's bright colors to me represent the possibilities the brushes hold. I was also inspired by the reflective qualities they held. I decided to represent them in my drawing. I took lots of pictures from different angles to try to get unique reflections and a good composition. I finally settled on a photo and began drawing. 





The drawing itself posed some challenges, but was actually a really fun process to create. I really enjoyed mixing colors, blending, creating highlights in the metal, and the texture of the bristles. I have only ever really done water reflections, so working with metal was new for me. I fell in love with the process and the drawing really started coming together. 







Looking back at where I started even this semester, I have grown so much as an artist. I have learned so many technical skills seen in this drawing such as working with Prismacolors, how to achieve a good composition, creating texture, and more. In addition to the technical stuff, however, I learned a lot about challenging myself as an artist and where I see myself going in the future. I believe that I have really started coming into my own style and have began putting my own mark on my pieces. 

I am so so so grateful for everything that I learned in Art 4 throughout the semester. I am so thankful for my incredible teacher for pushing me to do my best work and encouraging me in everything. I am also grateful for the wonderful group of artists I was surrounded with every day to provide some fresh perspective and advice. To be in a public school and be able to say that confidently is such a blessing and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. I am SO looking forward to AP Art senior year!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment