Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Sticky Situation"

 
     For this project, the theme was "Sticky Situation." While brainstorming ideas for the new assignment, I came up with lots of ideas that I could just simply paint on the canvas such as different candies and suckers. While sketching out different compositions, I couldn't get the idea out of my head of using actual tape to create my sticky situation. So I went with the idea and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! Creating this piece was actually a very sticky situation because I started out by sculpting the shape of the main rose with layers and layers of masking tape. Let's just say, I got a little wrapped up! After the main rose was completed, I painted the different layers of it being as true to the values as I could be and finished it off by painting the roses in the background. To make repetition a strong element of my piece, I not only repeated the shape and colors of the flowers, but I also tied them all together by incorporating some of the tape into the other flowers. 
     I have worked with acrylics before and I have always been fascinated with how they blend so easily, so I was really excited to have the opportunity to experiment with that with this project. I think there is definitely room to improve my skills with acrylic paint but I think this project really helped to do that. I think that I could have made the highlights a little stronger to show the strength of the light source. I also think that I could have  made some improvements to the shape of the leaf petals, but overall, I believe that this "sticky situation" was a great exhibit of how I have grown as an artist and where I plan to go!  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment